The teaky saloon of the ol' Betty Jane ...the perfect place to blog yer heart out!

Awwww, What The Heck


See the caprail and rail on the starboard side here? Well, over the past couple of years I've made a big deal about using synthetic varnishes of one kind or another to keep the shine shinin' on such components and cut labor of the hands-on variety

I have backed up this nifty course of action by citing a maintenance philosophy I learned from a guy named Manley Fulcher, a lead AB (Able Bodied Seaman) on a tug I once worked aboard maybe 25 years ago. Manley didn't care about the finer points of cosmetics on the ol' Sara Hayes. He simply wanted surfaces susceptible to rot, rust, and other horrors covered up with paint (mostly) and varnish (sometimes), so to protect them from the ravages of the ferocious saltwater environment.

Well, guess what, Manley! I hope you are not reading this because I am going against my better judgement (and yours) straight into the realm of museum-grade maintenance--I have hired a professional varnish guy (I ain't got the time is my excuse) to wood down the totality of the Betty Jane's rails, caprails, nameboards, and trim pieces, thereby removing scads of various coatings (even a little paint here and there to cover up darkened mildewed spots) and rendering all ten acres of her glistening brightwork fresh as the driven snow or, since my home port's in Florida, rain.

Once the wooding down is done, multiple coats of regular old-fashioned varnish will be applied...with great and expensive artistry. More details will be forthcoming since I have suggested that I lend my time to the job on weekends. Why not pay and work at the same time, thus adding insult to injury?<

Varnish heads in the marina are overjoyed, of course. They tell me I am going to be blown away by the final product, a product that will make my synthetic efforts look crass, even unclean and unwholesome.

Hmmmm...while I am not sure about this, I am pretty sure I'm gonna be blown away by the ultimate price of my little voyage into high-end beautification! Stay tuned.<

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Capt Bill, Manley Fulcher in your article is my Grandfather! I regret to inform you that he passed away August 4 2007. I can't describe to you the feeling I got to have accidently ran across this article with the mention of my Grandad. Thanks alot!!!

Anonymous said...

Grace Fulcher
zgfulcher@yahoo.com