The teaky saloon of the ol' Betty Jane ...the perfect place to blog yer heart out!

The Drawer From Hell?

Yeah right. It looks a tad messy perhaps, but everything in here is absolutely necessary to the solid and continuing operation of the Betty Jane. I mean, really--it is! And the only reason I'm revealing the contents of the top drawer of the cabinet in Betty's saloon (on the starboard side) in such a no-holds-barred (dare I say naked?) fashion is to prove to my wife, via immediate interactive comment from the thousands of readers of this blog, that said contents do not amount to logistical insanity but simply represent a level of preparedness the sea demands from all, savvy seafarers.

So help me out here somebody. Please! Comment! Favorably! After all, every boat over 30 feet in length needs a drawer like this baby...chock-a-bloc with essentials and ready to go at the drop of a deck shoe.
Got an emergency leak? We gotcha covered! With a couple of tubes of silicone and a package of two-part epoxy. Run into a pile of free oysters that need shuckin'? Again, gotcha covered! With a solid oyster knife from the fish-knife-makin' folks at Dexter, or is it Russell.

Anyway, just zoom in on the photo for a moment. I've got chisels (a set of three) for work on the ol' teak deck, a flashlight for after-dark exigencies, a set of small screw drivers (Phillips and standard) for miniscule projects, a few mainstream screw drivers (Phillips and standard) for more serious macro projects, a whole bag of zincs (to stay current on stray current), a Leatherman multi-tool for whatever, a bag of lag screws (for what I'm not sure), a little duct tape...the list goes on and on and...on.

So please, please, please comment. And if you don't mind, while commenting, please tell me exactly what I want to hear, which is: all boats have drawers from hell (see above) and each and every one is as necessary to human existence as oxygen, GPS, and Nathan's hot dogs. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to bow to my wife's wishes and "straighten up" the lovely, interesting, constantly changing agglomeration of artifacts I've got growing rather robustly. Yikes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill Pike. Time to organize the drawer. BJV

Anonymous said...

Hi Captain. Not only does every boat need a junk drawer from hell, but every home too.